Registration, open house dates announced for county schools
Putnam County Schools has released a schedule of registration and open house dates for new elementary, middle and high school students for the 2017-18 academic year.
Putnam County Schools Communications and Events Coordinator Micah Osborne said parents/guardians should bring the following to registration sessions: A certified birth certificate from the state Department of Vital Statistics; a proof of residence (e.g., a utility bill with service address, real property tax statement or deed/lease); immunization records; a health check form (well visit) and proof of a dental visit for students entering grades pre-K, kindergarten, second and seventh.
During the open house sessions, parents/guardians and students can meet their teachers, principals, counselors and support staff, while also touring the school and visiting their new classroom.
“During open house, teachers typically tell parents and students a little about expectations of students, supplies needed, layout of their day, etc. Teachers will also discuss morning and afternoon pickup procedures to make sure all students arrive to school and home safely. The schools will have someone from the Transportation Department to help answer questions about bus routes and times,” Osborne said.
“Attendance at open house helps to remove some of the first-day-of-school nerves,” she added. “Teachers love meeting parents or guardians and students to establish that personal contact prior to school starting.”
Osborne offered some tips for those attending open house sessions for the first time.
“Come prepared with questions and do not hesitate to ask. Talk with your child about concerns or questions they may have about the first day or week of school.
“Open house is a great time to address those big picture questions,” Osborne said. “For example, if your new middle schooler is concerned about time in between class changes, open house is the perfect time to ask how much time will students have in between classes and if the teacher could give any tips to help students get to their next class on time. Most teachers help brainstorm ways to help address students’ concerns in age- and grade-appropriate ways.”
Other items that can be addressed during an open house include:
• How to best contact the teacher
• Volunteering or PTA opportunities
• Classroom expectations
• How to support your child’s learning at home.
“Our open house theme is ‘Around the World and Close to Home,’” Poca Middle School Principal Lynda Rumbaugh said. “That theme will be present throughout our year at Poca Middle as we look at how our students are interconnected to their school, community and the world around them. Parents and students will receive information related to our academic and athletic programming, meet teachers, ask questions, take a tour of the building and get a taste of all that is Poca Middle. Parents will have the opportunity to sign up for Engrade accounts to monitor student progress and communicate with staff. They will also learn the many ways they can volunteer at school.”
Listed below are the registration dates first, followed by the open house dates. Contact the respective school for more information:
• Buffalo Elementary: Aug. 9, 9 a.m-2 p.m./Aug. 15, 5-6:30 p.m.
• Confidence Elementary: Aug. 16, 2:30-4:30 p.m./Aug. 16, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
• Conner Street Elementary: Aug. 7, 8 a.m.-1 p.m./Aug. 15, 5-6 p.m. (kindergarten), 6-7 p.m. (first-fifth grades); Aug. 17, 6-7 p.m. (pre-kindergarten)
• Eastbrook Elementary: Aug. 8, 9 a.m.-1 p.m./Aug. 15, 5:30-6:15 p.m. (returning students), 6:15-7:30 p.m. (kindergarten and new students)
• George Washington Elementary: Aug. 11, 9 a.m.-noon/Aug. 16, 4:30 p.m. (K through second grade), 5:30 p.m. (third-fifth grades); Aug. 18, 1:30 p.m. (Pre-K students)
• Hometown Elementary: Aug. 4, 10 a.m.-noon/Aug. 15, 3:30-5 p.m.
• Hurricane Town Elementary: Aug. 9, 9 a.m.-3 p.m./Aug. 16, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
• Lakeside Elementary: Aug. 9, 9 a.m.-2 p.m./Aug. 16, 5-6 p.m.
• Mountain View Elementary: Aug. 2, 9 a.m.-2 p.m./Aug. 16, 4:30-6 p.m.
• Poca Elementary: Aug. 10, 9 a.m.-2 p.m./Aug. 16, 2 p.m. (pre-K and kindergarten students), 3-5 p.m. (first-fifth grades)
• Rock Branch Elementary: Aug. 10, 9 a.m.-1 p.m./Aug. 16, 5-6 p.m.
• Scott Teays Elementary: Aug. 7, 8 a.m.-2 p.m./Aug. 16, 5-6 p.m. (kindergarten students), 6-7 p.m. (first-fifth grades)
• West Teays Elementary: Registration was held July 28/open house is Aug. 16, 4:30-6 p.m.
• Winfield Elementary: Aug. 9, 9 a.m.-2 p.m./Aug. 16, 5-6 p.m. (last names A-M), 6-7 p.m. (last names N-Z).
• George Washington: Aug. 11, 9 a.m.-noon/Aug. 16, 5-6 p.m.
• Hurricane: Aug. 8, 9 a.m-TBD/Aug. 21, 4-6 p.m.
• Poca: Aug. 7-9, Aug. 11: 9 a.m.-2 p.m./Aug. 15, 4:30-6:30 p.m. • Winfield: Aug. 8-9, 9 a.m.-noon, 1-3 p.m./Aug. 16, 4-6 p.m.
• Buffalo: Aug. 3-4, Aug. 7, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m./Aug. 15, 3:30-5:30 p.m.
• Hurricane: Aug. 11, Aug. 14, 9-11 a.m., 1-3 p.m./Aug. 15, 5:30 p.m.-TBD
• Poca: Aug. 2-3, 9 a.m.-noon, 1-3:30 p.m./Aug. 16, 4-6 p.m.
• Winfield: Aug. 10-11, 8 a.m.-3 p.m./Aug. 15, 4-6 p.m.
Classes for the 2017-18 academic year will start on Thursday, Aug. 17.